[cups.development] Additon information about printing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jan 17 13:47:48 PST 2007

PChot wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> i would like to create "virtual printer" in CUPS. very similar to
> cups-pdf and i would like some infomation if you can provide.
>
> Here is my problem. I need to add addtional infomation of the printing
> file. So the best way would be that after printing user get some window,
> where he can user write these information. Is it possible that CUPS
> request some how that infomation? In other words in need to get somehow
> addtional information from user that prints.

That is currently not possible for a variety of practical issues,
namely security (printing user may not be on the local console) and
network transparency (print job may come from another machine).

We have an open RFE to add some basic functionality (mainly to prompt
the user with a message and possible actions to take), but there is
no plan to add the ability to request additional information after
the job has been submitted.

In the Mac OS X world, you can add additional panes to the print
dialog via Print Dialog Extension (PDE) bundles associated with
the print queue (via the PPD file).  Something similar may be
provided on Linux in the coming years - go to the open printing
forums on the freestandards.org site to discuss your requirements:

     http://www.freestandards.org/en/OpenPrinting

These additional panes would allow you to pass additional attributes
with the job that your filter/backend could use, e.g. a fax driver
could provide a pane to get the phone number, subject, etc. for the
cover page...