[cups.development] Additon information about printing

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jan 17 13:56:43 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 04:47:48PM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:

> That is currently not possible for a variety of practical issues,
> namely security (printing user may not be on the local console) and
> network transparency (print job may come from another machine).
>
> We have an open RFE to add some basic functionality (mainly to prompt
> the user with a message and possible actions to take), but there is
> no plan to add the ability to request additional information after
> the job has been submitted.

You could nevertheless do this by running a particular daemon on
each of your client hosts, and ensure your own backend connects to
that daemon running on the job-originating-host-name at print time
(or through a CUPS notifier whenever a job is submitted, which is earlier
in the filtering chain), and have this daemon present a dialog box
to the end user.

This is exactly what the PyKotIcon software do : it's a generic and
cross platform networked dialog box manager which is usually used
in connection with the PyKota print accounting software for CUPS,
for example to ask username and password, or billing code, or
whatever you want it to ask (or simply display) to the end user.
However PyKotIcon is completely unrelated to PyKota and can be used
from other applications.

Both software are available from http://www.pykota.com

hth

Jerome Alet