[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2211: "Export Printers to Samba" doesn'twork for newly added printers

Christoph Peus cp at uni-wh.de
Wed Jan 24 05:14:02 PST 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> It is simply not possible to do sudo from the web interfaces - there is no
> way for the authentication information to be passed in.

It's not necessary to pass any authentication information if
/etc/sudoers is configured for this purpose. Something like this in
sudoers would do the job (if the command is executed with the identity
of user 'cp'):

cp     printspooler = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/smbcontrol smbd reload-config

I think it would be very easy to implement executing 'sudo smbcontrol
smbd reload-config' prior to the cupsaddsmb command. It would be up to
the administrator wether he wants to give his trusted users the
permission to execute this command successfully or not.

> Similarly, we don't want cupsd (which runs as root) doing this since not
> all administrators want to share their printers via Samba and not all
> systems even want to run Samba.

Have you perhaps misunderstood me? I suggest to make this command part
of the "Export Printers to Samba" feature, and you can be sure that
*every* administrator, who clicks that button wants to share the printer
via Samba.

Would you *please* reconsider implemeting this feature?  :)
Thanks!

Regards
Christoph