French localization - HELP !

philippe philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Jan 24 06:36:01 PST 2007

Hi,

I have two problems, despite I started to follow strictly the CUPS 1.2 Translation Guide.

First, you must know that Fench is quite verbose. Using your Gimp scripts to translate the button images results in sometimes quite wide buttons...
I tried to include a \n in the text string. How surprised I was to see it was understood !
But the problem is that the resulting button keeps the same height as the original, and thus the it only shows the lower par tof te first line and the upper part of the second one.
Well, I looked at the german (German is even more verbose) buttons and I saw that the translator did not worry about this.
But if it was possible to have two-line buttons, it would b really great !

The second issue deals with the translate program for the .po.
I did:
cp cups.pot cups_fr.po
./translate cups_fr.po fr
It does not translate the messages. It only copes the english string.

Well writing this message, I felt a bit ashamed not to have investigated a bit more the issue. Once I have understood how the URL was built, I found that Google has changed the resulting HTML code. The answer is not in a <textarea> any longer. It is in a <div id=result_box ...

So I changed line 308 to
      if ((bufptr = strstr(buffer, "<div id=result_box")) == NULL)
line 314 to
        puts("NO RESULT BOX!");
line 325 to
        puts("RESULT BOX SHORT DATA!");
line 332 to
     if ((bufend = strstr(bufptr, "</div>")) == NULL)
and line 338 to
        puts("/DIV OF RESULT BOX SHORT DATA!");

It works for me. I cannot do further testing...

Philippe