Globalized PPD and High-ASCII translations for main and option keywords

Dmitry Sharov dsharov at mackiev.com
Thu Jan 25 09:21:52 PST 2007

Greetings,

I have a general question regarding Globalized PPD files support and translation strings for main and option keywords.

According to 'Globalized PPD Support' section of 'CUPS PPD Extensions' document:
'
6. Translation strings included with the main and option keywords MUST NOT contain characters outside the ASCII subset of ISOLatin1 and UTF-8; developers wishing to use characters outside ASCII MUST provide a separate set of English localization attributes for the affected keywords.
'

Does this mean that I cannot use hexadecimal string to provide High-ASCII symbols in translations for main and option keywords?

For example:
*OpenUI *TextAngle/Watermark Angle:  PickOne
*DefaultTextAngle: Deg45
*TextAngle Deg45/45<A1>: "userdict /TextAngle 45 put"
*CloseUI: *TextAngle

And I should use instead something like this?
*TextAngle Deg45/45: "userdict /TextAngle 45 put"
*en.TextAngle Deg45/45<A1>: ""