[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2217: Sharing/publish printer does not update cupsd.conf

Michael White michael.white at charter.net
Sun Jan 28 07:09:07 PST 2007

[STR New]

After installing Fedora Core 6, I was no longer able to share my printer.
Both the "system-config-printer" and the http://localhost:631/ web page
simply set the "Shared" row to "Yes" in printers.conf.  This does not seem
to be sufficient, as this does not allow access to the printer from
non-local machines, even with all firewalls shut off.  I popped over into
my Fedora Core 5 partition, and noticed the following was at the end of
the Fedora Core 5 cupsd.conf file:

<Location /printers/printer>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
AuthType None
Allow from All
</Location>

I added a modified version to the bottom of the Fedora Core 6 cupsd.conf:

<Location /printers/printer>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
AuthType None
Allow from 192.168.128.0/24
</Location>

I then turned on the firewall, and all was good (minus a few handfuls of
hair missing from my head :).

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2217
Version: 1.2.7