integrate windows (dll, drv...) printer drivers via wine magic?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Jan 29 06:22:48 PST 2007

Marcel Partap wrote:
> Dear CUPS devs,
> I have an Epson TM-L60 here, which is a thermal receipt printer connected via serial port. It is old and uses the ESC/POS control codes stuff like many similar Epson printers, but can also work as a 'normal' (graphic-capable) printer via the so called "Advanced Printer Driver for Windows" (http://www.pos.epson-europe.com/support/drivers.htm). The contents of this driver package can be seen here:
> http://www.printer-drivers.com/drivers/56/56318.htm
> Now that there's (of course) no Linux driver available (only some Java ADK, uahh...), although Epson -says- on that same page they are currently developing one (I have just sent an email to them requesting more information on that...), I thought with all those examples like Captive and Ndiswrapper and stuff alike, it might be possible to implement a CUPS backend using wine for windows drivers.
> And now that's where I look forward to your comments. Do you think this can/should be done? Thanks for your time ;)
> sincere regards
> marcel, 22, student of mec. engineering @ RWTH Aachen

I'd prefer to write something like a pstoescpos filter, as the ESC/POS PDL seems to be
sufficiently documented - at least I found about three complete
ESC/POS specs in the internet, two of them by Epson itself. I guess
this would be easier than trying to use Wind as a server applecation.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung