Printing delay

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Jul 2 09:44:46 PDT 2007

Hello all.

I've added more printer queues into CUPS and so we now have 2683
printer queues.

With this amount of printer queues in the clients, printing is now
experiencing some delays, 10-13 seconds. And with clients that are
constantly printing, backlogs in printing are now occurring.

See the following stat:

client04f: timex lpstat -v|wc
real 10.83
user 2.44
sys  0.06

    2683   10732   77858

ROOT @ CLIENT06F # timex lpr -Pricohc /tmp/foo
real 11.42
user 1.73
sys  0.08

client10f:./cups> timex lpr -Pricohc /tmp/foo
real 11.94
user 1.92
sys  0.04

client11f:./cups> timex lpr -Pricohc /tmp/foo
real 10.63
user 2.25
sys  0.10

Is there any performance tuning I can do in CUPS to minimize the print
delay?

We're currently running CUPS 1.2.4.  Will upgrading to CUPS 1.2.11
improves performance?

Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel