Printing delay

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Mon Jul 2 14:14:36 PDT 2007

> Hello all.
>
> I've added more printer queues into CUPS and so we now have 2683
> printer queues.
>
> With this amount of printer queues in the clients, printing is now
> experiencing some delays, 10-13 seconds. And with clients that are
> constantly printing, backlogs in printing are now occurring.
>
> See the following stat:
>
> client04f: timex lpstat -v|wc
> real 10.83
> user 2.44
> sys  0.06
>
>     2683   10732   77858

[....]

> We're currently running CUPS 1.2.4.  Will upgrading to CUPS 1.2.11
> improves performance?
>
> Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.

It is impossible to give any meaningful advice without knowing your current configuration settings.

So, what is the output of

   grep -Ev "^$|^#" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

?

What are the CPU/RAM resources of your CUPS server(s)? How do the clients learn about their printers?  Do they (or some of them) use BrowsePoll? -- etc.pp. ...

(And I assume you are not using any network file system setup for holding  configuration or spooling directories?)