Cups Printing breaks with own backend script

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Mon Jul 2 15:07:16 PDT 2007

> Please Help,
>
> we have our own backend script but it looks like that it never starts.
>
> In the Log file I got some Error massages but I find nothing.

What about this message? See:

[....]
> D [02/Jul/2007:18:09:23 +0200] [Job 20] Can`t open debug file at /usr/lib/cups/backend/dwcups line 95.

Where do you want to write that "debug file" to? Does the user who runs that backend [*] have rights to read/write to that file? Does its directory already exist?

[*] Normally, with CUPS-1.2.7 (that you run, according to your log
    file extract), the CUPS backend will run as root if its permissions
    are "700". But you never know.... Lately, quite some distros do
    wild things in patching away CUPS' recommended default settings,
    without properly documenting their self-willing obstinacy, leaving
    users like yourself and supporters like ourselfs sometimes
    scratching our heads in vain....

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant --- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS