Printing delay

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Jul 2 15:58:02 PDT 2007

> > Hello all.
> >
> > I've added more printer queues into CUPS and so we now have 2683
> > printer queues.
> >
> > With this amount of printer queues in the clients, printing is now
> > experiencing some delays, 10-13 seconds. And with clients that are
> > constantly printing, backlogs in printing are now occurring.
> >
> > See the following stat:
> >
> > client04f: timex lpstat -v|wc
> > real 10.83
> > user 2.44
> > sys  0.06
> >
> >     2683   10732   77858
>
> [....]
>
> > We're currently running CUPS 1.2.4.  Will upgrading to CUPS 1.2.11
> > improves performance?
> >
> > Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.
>
> It is impossible to give any meaningful advice without knowing your current configuration settings.
>
> So, what is the output of
>
>    grep -Ev "^$|^#" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> ?
>
> What are the CPU/RAM resources of your CUPS server(s)? How do the clients learn about their printers?  Do they (or some of them) use BrowsePoll? -- etc.pp. ...
>
> (And I assume you are not using any network file system setup for holding  configuration or spooling directories?)

My two servers are running at 1Ghz with 1GB of memory each. The servers
are running in parallel. Memory usage is very minimal and CPU use is
less than 1% each. Network packets are in the Ks hardly any MBs and
connected to Gigabit network.

Many of our client systems are running with 4-processors with a clock
speed of 451MHz and 16GB of memory.

All clients are setup to browsepoll the servers. And no NFS holds.

cuspd.conf(servers):

ServerName server1
LogLevel debug
AccessLog /var/log/cups/access_log
ErrorLog /var/log/cups/error_log
PageLog /var/log/page_log
MaxLogSize 20M
MaxJobs 2000
MaxPrinterHistory 20
           #   on username/password.
User lp
Group cups
MaxClients 2048
MaxClientsPerHost 1024
RIPCache 512m
SystemGroup lp
Listen 631
Browsing On
BrowsePort 631
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseInterval 300
BrowseTimeout 14400
ImplicitClasses Yes
DefaultEncryption IfRequested
DefaultAuthType Basic
Printcap /etc/opt/TWWfsw/cups124/printcap
<Location />
  #AuthType Basic
  #Require group
  #Require group @lp
  ## AuthType Basic
  ## AuthClass Group
  ## AuthGroupName lp
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Encryption Required    # for SSL
  # Require user @SYSTEM
  #
  AuthType Basic
  Require group lp
  Order Deny,Allow
  Allow From All
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  # Require user @SYSTEM
  #
  AuthType Basic
  Require group admnobody
  Order Deny,Allow
  Allow From All
</Location>
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-
Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Ge
t-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job
CUPS-Move-Job>
    #
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disa
ble-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Pri
nter Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Ad
d-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    #
    # Require user @SYSTEM
    AuthType Basic
    Require group lp
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>