MaxClient setting and file descriptor

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Jul 2 21:34:01 PDT 2007

Hello all.

Where does CUPS gets its default value of 1024 for the file
descriptor?

I've set my ulimit parms to higher value settings but it doesn't
seem to have any effect on CUPS as it always defaults to 1024.

# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 2048
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 5120
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 8384

# cat file-max
52091

# grep descriptor error_log
I [02/Jul/2007:22:59:22 -0500] MaxClients limited to 1/3 (341) of the file descriptor limit (1024)...

Our MaxClients is currently set to 2048 and I want to change that to a
higher value but I'm not certain on how to make the change and make it
effective.

And is my assumption of Clients in "MaxClients" refers to the printer
queues in the CUPS clients?

Any suggestion or comment is appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel