[cups.general] MaxClient setting and file descriptor

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Jul 3 02:47:43 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
[...]
> angelb wrote:
>
> > # grep descriptor error_log
> > I [02/Jul/2007:22:59:22 -0500] MaxClients limited to 1/3 (341) of the file descriptor limit (1024)...
> >
> > Our MaxClients is currently set to 2048 and I want to change that to a
> > higher value but I'm not certain on how to make the change and make it
> > effective.
>
> Why is that? How many print clients do you have for your cupsd, and how
> likely is it that they (or even only 3% of them) will make a connection
> that needs processing at the same time?
>
> > And is my assumption of Clients in "MaxClients" refers to the printer
> > queues in the CUPS clients?

[...]
>           Note:  Since each print job requires a file descriptor for the
>                  status pipe, the scheduler internally limits the MaxClients
>                  value to 1/3 of the available file descriptors to avoid
>                  possible problems when printing large numbers of jobs."

Beside the valid arguments Kurt already explained you...

The number of file descriptors is restricted through your (Unix/Linux)
system. You have to increase your system limits first, if you want to
use higher limits. The reason is the used select(2) system call, which
can only handle a limited number of file handles.

So: increasing the cupsd.conf isn't the only place you have to modify.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel