[cups.general] MaxClient setting and file descriptor

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 3 02:54:12 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jul 3 05:27 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> You can have 24000 print clients, where each of them prints 1 one-page job
> per day. That gives you on avarage 1000 connections for the CUPS server per
> hour, or 1 every 3.6 seconds (*for* *the* *purpose* *of* *job* *submission* !),
> right? And yet this may mean no more than 10-30 *concurrent* job submission
> connections at the peak time (due to the uneven distribution of job submissions
> over the 24 hour time period).

Only for the fun:
You can have 24000 usual print clients and be perfectly happy with
the defaults or you can have one single SAP system as a client ;-)
Whenever I hear about performace problems in CUPS, I always find out
that there is somewhere SAP in use ;-)

Honestly:
The reason is that one single SAP system can send zillions of
print jobs in a very short time.
I know almost nothing about SAP but I guess it happens, when SAP
comes to the conclusion that it is the right time to spit out
all its carefully stored stuff which needs to be printed.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex