MaxClient setting and file descriptor

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Jul 3 06:53:42 PDT 2007

> angelb wrote:
>
> > # grep descriptor error_log
> > I [02/Jul/2007:22:59:22 -0500] MaxClients limited to 1/3 (341) of the file descriptor limit (1024)...
> >
> > Our MaxClients is currently set to 2048 and I want to change that to a
> > higher value but I'm not certain on how to make the change and make it
> > effective.
>
> Why is that? How many print clients do you have for your cupsd, and how
> likely is it that they (or even only 3% of them) will make a connection
> that needs processing at the same time?

Because we have 0 free allocated file descriptor on both serers:
cupserver1$ cat file-nr
1400  0  102667

cupserver2$ cat file-nr
1380  0  102667

I'm not sure if this alone will improve performance but I'm looking at
every possible scenario.

> as well as for peak times): if you never see more than 30, why raise the

More than 30 is easily surpassed for our app servers during peak times.

client> date ; lpstat -o|wc
Tue Jul  3 08:49:21 CDT 2007
     269    2152   19906

Thanks,