Printing delay

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Jul 3 18:00:41 PDT 2007

> angelb wrote:
>
> > However, I seem to have narrowed down the root cause of the delay. It
> > turned out to be an open file descriptor shortage, as I have initially
> > thought it was.
> >
> > Here's some before and after ulimit changes(clients only):
> >
> >> # timex lpstat -p|wc
> > real 21.32    <-- point of interest - long response time
> > user 3.54
> > sys  0.01
>
> [...]
>
> > Now, with the CUPS file descriptor increased, we have better performance:
> >
> >> # timex lpstat -p|wc
> > real 7.94  <--- much better
> > user 3.67
> > sys  0.08
> >
> >     2683   32196  177126
>
> So, by what amount did you increase the number of file descriptors, and
> how did you do that? New Kernel build? New CUPS build?

Oopss...sorry, the "CUPS file descriptor increased" needs
clarification.

The global default setting for our open file descriptors(nofiles) is
set to 2000. I've set ulimit to our clients to 8K.

I had two options: 1) set ulimit to root to 8k or 2) insert the ulimit command in the cups startup script

I've decided to use option 2. I've inserted "ulimit -n 8192" into the
startup script which effectively sets root's soft/hard limits when
cupsd is restarted. Since root starts cupsd, cupsd effectively
inherits the ulimit parms. I just have to remember this change when
upgrading CUPS.

I did not have to build/rebuild anything. It was simply changing the
ulimits that solved the problem.

There were no other changes to client/server configuration.

Thanks,
Angel