Can't print to dot matrix printer

somebody some at body.com
Wed Jul 4 19:51:04 PDT 2007

I have a dot matrix printer that I've configured under CUPS 1.2.11
as a "Generic" type printer.  This dot matrix printer is connected
to the network via an HP JetDirect print server.  When I try and
print using this printer, nothing prints, and I get these errors
in the error_log:

E [03/Jul/2007:14:59:14 +0500] Unable to convert file 0 to printable
format for job 25!
I [03/Jul/2007:14:59:14 +0500] Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?

I've tried two different versions of Ghostscript, one GNU and one
HP-UX depot package.  I installed 1.2.11 from the source code
under HP-UX 11.11.  I copied these files from my Linux box
the HP box:

cp textonly.ppd /usr/local/cups/share/cups/model
cp textonly /usr/local/cups/lib/cups/filter

I believe these should work, but am suspicious.  What do I need to
do to get CUPS working with my dot matrix printer?  It's working
just fine with numerous laser jet printers.

-Thanks