lppasswd problem

russbucket russbucket at nwi.net
Thu Jul 5 12:53:44 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> russbucket wrote:
>> Reinstalled complete system since disk failure. Using SUSE10.2, Cups
>> 1.2.7-12.1. When I put in password with lppassword username,
>
> It is "lppasswd -a username" (not "lppassw*or*d").
>
>> the the
>> password. I can see it changing in /etc/cups/passwd.md5.
>
> Ah, that should be OK then...
>
>> When I try adding
>> a printer thru localhost and enter info, to add printer. It says
>> authentication failed.
>
> lppasswd/passwd.md5 is for "AuthType Digest" and "AuthType BasicDigest"
> authentication.
>
> Maybe you have "AuthType Basic"?
>
>> Same when I try with root. As best I can tell
>> everything has correct permissions.
>
> What is written into your error_log...
>
>  ...while you try to add a printer through the localhost:631 web
>     interface
>  ...after you have enabled "LogLevel debug" in cupsd.conf
>  ...and restarted CUPS?
>
>> Apache2 is set for cookie authorities and appears to be working.
>
> Apache has nothing to do with CUPS at all. ("localhost:631" is purely
> CUPS...)
>
>> Any pointers or ideas on where to look?
>
>  - your config files,
>  - your error_log with LogLevel debug,
>  - the Release Notes of openSUSE-10.2 re. their CUPS setup,
>  - also, parse the Release Notes for all new releases of CUPS since
>    1.2.7 for any potential bugs that may have been fixed since that
>    time (see at http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php )

Actually I made some headway. Based on answer from Johannes I am able to log
on as root with the root system password. Still cannot log on with my ID
and its system password. I am a part of the lp group. If I understand
johannes' answer I do not need lppasswd to set the password, its now using
password shadow. Before my disk crashed I was use SUSE 10.2 and Scribus an
Cups 1.2.7 and it was using lppasswd I think.

Still need to be able to set a printmgr id to log on.