Printer is "stopped" on error -- how to change this?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 13:33:57 PDT 2007

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   Consider such scenario:
> I "print" some document but I forgot to turn the printer on. I realized
> my mistake, I turn the printer on, but there is no printing. When I
> check (in KDE) the status of the printer it is "stopped". I have to
> manually "start" it (in KDE) to make the printer accept any coming print
> jobs.
>
>   ?
>   How to change this policy, so even after error printer would be still
> in "started" mode so I could immediately send another print job
>   ?

If you use CUPS 1.2.x:

  - You have to enable an "ErrorPolicy retry-job" in printers.conf

  - You can configure "JobRetryInterval 300" in cupsd.conf for
    "damn!, try it every 5 minutes".

  - You can configure "JobRetryLimit 1200" in cupsd.conf for "try it
    1200 times bevor giving up" (which computes in my head to "try it
    for 100 hours")

If you have CUPS 1.1.x:

  - Download the "beh" script (Backend Error Handler) from
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/download.cgi?filename=beh&show=0

  - Read the comments at the beginning of that file.

  - Install and configure beh.

>   I looked at cups documentation, but I only found two things related
> to this -- number of retries, and retry timeout, but I didn't find any
> policy which could be set to "retry" (if this is a solution).

See
   http://localhost:631/help/ref-printers-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#ErrorPolicy

--
Kurt Pfeifle