Zebra 220 XiIII Plus

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Jul 7 10:00:02 PDT 2007

Isaac wrote:
> Hello.  I have a Zebra 220 XiIII Plus printer that we are testing for usage in our warehouse.  We have a windows computer that prints to it and a SuSE 9.3 CUPS server.
>
> The CUPS server takes 26 seconds to print to it while the Windows XP computer takes only 6 seconds.
>
> I'm using the ZPL ppd file that comes with CUPS.  What do I need to do to get the printing down to a reasonable amount of time?  Preferably in the 3-5 second range?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Isaac

You did not tell what the sources of the printed labels are in case of
Windows resp. Linux. I suspect the differences in printing time
reult from tha fact that the windows driver presumably uses
thd full featured Zebra ZPL II printer language, whareas the
CUPS approach first converts the input to PostScript,
the PostScript to the CUPS special raster format which is in
turn converted to the Zebra Graphics format (which in turn is
a special subset of the ZPL II language as well).

You should tell more details of how the printer is handled by
your Windows installation. I guess it would be not too
big a task to write a filter that converts the input to
pure ZPL II code.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke