[cups.general] Can't get cups working with HP JetDirect 170x / dot matrix printer

Bernard Barton bfb21 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 8 07:45:47 PDT 2007

I have an older Tally 6250 dot matrix printer connected to an HP
JetDirect 170x print server.  The printer works fine with other
printing software.  It's defined in CUPS as listed below.  Using
CUPS 1.2.10 under Fedora Core 6, the best I've been able to do
is print garbage to the printer.  I've tried numerous drivers and
have foomatic installed.  Can someone tell me what configuration
will work with this setup, i.e., which drivers will work?

-Thanks

/usr/local/cups/sbin/lpadmin \
-p bbj \
-D "Tally T6215 dot matrix in Printer Room (far right)" \
-L "Printer room" \
-m textonly.ppd \
-v socket://172.27.131.152:9100 \
-o job-sheets-default=standard,none \