[cups.general] Konica Minolta Magicolor 7450

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jul 9 21:26:29 PDT 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:45:45 -0700
> Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> dijo:
>
>> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> I'd like to buy one of these printers. I got a PPD file from Konica
>>> Minolta, and I installed it on my Ubuntu Feisty computer. However, I
>>> can't tell from the driver if everything will work. Does anyone have
>>> one of these printers?
>
>> Look at
>> 	http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=KONICA_MINOLTA-Magicolor_2450
>> it might help.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I had already seen the 2450 in
> openprinting.org, however, the 7450 has additional features that the
> 2450 does not have. The critical one for me is that the 7450 has an
> optional banner tray that will print heavy stock 12 inches by 47
> inches. From past experience, if it is both optional and unusual, it is
> very possible that it is not supported in Linux. The PPD file may
> reference the feature, but CUPS may not recognize the syntax in the PPD
> file.

I don't see any reason why CUPS should not recognize the syntax in
the PPD file (as long as that syntax is "legal" according to the
official PPD syntax specification as per Adobe's documents).

You can test this by running

   cupstestppd /path/to/PPD-file
   cupstestppd -v /path/to/PPD-file
   cupstestppd -vv /path/to/PPD-file

CUPS itself does not need to *understand* what exactly is contained in
the individual commands/code that drive your desired optional tray.

CUPS only needs to understand how to insert that code into a PostScript
file, and where in the file to do that.

That file then is sent to the print device, and the device's PostScript
interpreter now needs to understand and apply that code.

(If it now fails, you'll more likely have a bug in the printer or the
PPD itself than a bug elsewhere.)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS