[cups.general] How to enable job sheets (banner page) with dotmatrix printer?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 10 05:37:44 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jul 10 04:57 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> You can put *any* printable file declared as a 'legal' MIME type for
> CUPS (as per mime.types) into /usr/share/cups/banners/.
> After restarting CUPS ...

I tried with CUPS 1.2.7 with a simple plain-text banner file
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root ... /usr/share/cups/banners/mybanner
Job ID: {printer-name}-{job-id}
Title: {job-name}
Requesting User: {job-originating-user-name}
and
lpadmin -p <queue> -o job-sheets-default=mybanner

But I forgot the cupsd restart, therefore it didn't work for me.
I noticed no error or suspicious message in error_log,
actually it shows the line
Adding start banner page "mybanner" to job 123.
but it didn't print the banner page without cupsd restart.

Now - after the cupsd restart - it works well and now I see
some filters started twice in error_log - once for the banner,
and onece for the real print job.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex