[cups.general] Changing Resolution ???

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 13:33:39 PDT 2007

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>> Are you printing to this printer via your Linux box (via CUPS), or directly
>> from Windows? If via CUPS: are you using native Windows drivers, or using a
>> PostScript driver?
>
> Print to this machine from linux is via CUPS, yes...as well though from
> Windows, running under Win4Lin on my linux box. I am using native windows
> drivers when printing from windows applications, but via CUPS when printing
> from linux.

So which driver are your Windows applications using? PostScript? Or PCLß

(This may explain the difference in print quality: device is PS, Windows
uses PS, Linux uses PCL [HP printers with PS always do also include PCL
support, but not vice-versa...].)

[...]

> Output from "lpinfo -m" .. is still running...no end in site...

You could do a "grep -i laserjet" etc....

> is there any
> way to purge all those drivers..

Move away /usr/share/cups/model/ (as root):

  mv /usr/share/cups/model /usr/share/cups/model.bak

> and supporting files, and retain only those
> which apply to my specific hardware and software?

Create a new directory:

  mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

Copy the PPDs you may sometime want to use there. (Keep the 10 or so basic
PPDs CUPS itself is shipping).

> Seems a waste to have so
> many files...unused.

>> The PPD is not the only thing. The PPD (if it is not a PostScript printer)
>> does also call a 'filter' program. That filter/driver program may output
>> sub-optimal quality for your printer.
>>
>> Please post the output of these commands:
>>
>>   grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/[your-printer-name].ppd
>
> scott at fyrenice:/etc/cups/ppd$ grep cupsFilter sethlaser.ppd
> *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

With your very old Debian shipped a very old CUPS and a very old Foomatic
package.

However, I would recommend you to use the "laserjet.ppd" shipping with CUPS.
One of:

  lpadmin -p sethlaser -m laserjet.ppd
  lpadmin -p sethlaser -m laserjet.ppd.gz

should replace your currently used PPD for sethlaser with a new one in
/etc/cups/ppd/.

Test if the quality is better. (Only if not, upgrade your HPLIP and Foomatic
packages... somehow, because Debian 3.1 may not have official packages).

>>   grep ^\* /etc/cups/ppd/[your-printer-name].ppd |grep -v ^\*%|head -n 20
>
> scott at fyrenice:/etc/cups/ppd$ grep ^\* sethlaser.ppd | grep -v ^\*%|head -n

[...]

> *Product:       "(LaserJet 3P w/ PCL5)"
> *cupsVersion:   1.0
> *cupsManualCopies: True
> *cupsModelNumber:  2
> *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
> *ModelName:     "HP LaserJet 3P w/ PCL5"
> *ShortNickName: "HP LaserJet 3P w/ PCL5 ljet4"

You're certainly using a PPD for a PCL printer. Which does not proof
that your printer is indeed a PCL-only model... According to

   http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP

this model also has a PostScript-capable variant.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS