CUPS Not Starting

John Winward john at mrpsystems.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 07:52:57 PDT 2007

> John Winward wrote:
>

> > Stopping cups:                                     [FAILED]
> > Starting cups:                                     [  OK  ]
> >
> > cat error_log
> >
> > E [12/Jul/2007:18:38:22 +0100] StartListening: Unable to bind socket - Address
> > already in use.
> > [root at oxbow cups]#
>
> This is an indication for a configuration error. A combination of multiple
> "Listen ...." and/or "Port ..." entries may be causing this.
>
> You can check that by posting the result of this command:
>
>   grep -Ev "^#|^$" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep -E "Listen|Port"
>
> Or, another service has stolen the 'well-known' IPP port away from CUPS,
> before cupsd itself could grab it.
>
> You can check that last thing by running
>
>   lsof -i :631
>
> If another process than cupsd appears in the list, you have a guilty one.
> Kill it if you dare (and know what you do).
>
> --
> Kurt Pfeifle
> System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS
> Infotec Deutschland GmbH  .....................  Hedelfinger Strasse 58
> A RICOH Company  ...........................  D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany

Thanks

Strangely enough, when you answered my other SUBJECT of how to install multiple RPM's after downloaing current release of CUPS, I installed the current version of CUPS onto this box, and CUPS starts straight away.

I dont know if that was just by chance, or that the old version of CUPS in Red Hat 9.0 had historic problems.

John