default printer

Gerhard Hintermayer g.hintermayer at inode.at
Mon Jul 16 00:21:31 PDT 2007

> Hi,
> I'm wondering if it is possible in the following configuration to change the default printer on the server and get the "clients" use this new default printer without manual lpoptions interaction ?
>
> a cups-server hosting the printers with a pool of browsing only servers.
>
> The browsing server see all the printers but don't react on changing the default printer on the server, exept when restarting them (and deleting remote.cache before start).
>
> regards
> Gerhard

Is this really such an unusual application or is this the wrong forum ?
I think I cannot use Classes, since I found no reference to the way the active printer in a class is determined. The docs say the first available.
I could as well modify the clients.conf on the clients, which gives the desired behavior, but lacks local spooling, which i like to maintain.

Any hints are welcome

Gerhard