default printer

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jul 16 01:57:16 PDT 2007

Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
>>> [...]
>> http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#UseNetworkDefault
>>
>> --
>
> Thanks, but the docs say this is on per default, so I did not put it
> into cupsd.conf.
> Even with changing this on the browsing only servers, i do not get the
> desired behavior that a change of the default printer on the server
> where the printers are defined is reflected on the "clients"

You are aware that this only works if the clients did not have their own
default printer defined ??

Any user can define his personal default printer, and any root/admin can
define a system-wide default printer.

User-set default printers override admin-set system-wide default printers.

Admin-set, system-wide default printers override network default printers.

Local default printers are stored in '~/.cups/lpoptions' (for users) and
'/etc/cups/lpoptions' (for system-wide defaults).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS