default printer

Gerhard Hintermayer g.hintermayer at inode.at
Mon Jul 16 04:46:16 PDT 2007

> >> You are aware that this only works if the clients did not have their own
> >> default printer defined ??
> >>
> >> Any user can define his personal default printer, and any root/admin can
> >> define a system-wide default printer.
> >>
> >> User-set default printers override admin-set system-wide default printers.
> >>
> >> Admin-set, system-wide default printers override network default printers.
> >>
> >> Local default printers are stored in '~/.cups/lpoptions' (for users) and
> >> '/etc/cups/lpoptions' (for system-wide defaults).
> >>

> > Yes. I do not have any default printer defined on the clients. Nor do I
> > have any lpoptions nor .lpoptions file.
> > Browsing seems t work, as I see all the printers defined on the server
> > also on the clients. But still changing the default printer on the server
> > doesn't show up on the clients (neiter using lpq or the web-interface)
>
> You didn't mention which version of CUPS you are running.
>
> Possibly STR #1923 (http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1923) is relevant here.

Thanks for your patience. I'm using 1.2.10.
I'm hoping the solution is/will be backported to 1.2 branch. Am I right, that it is not in the recent 1.2.12 branch.

But I'm still wondering why noone else is claiming the error, or at least the docs say: go with setting client.conf to your single server since cups has an error and can't handle default network printers.
I was just upgrading to 1.2.10 (from 1.1.*) because I thought that was already fixed :-(.
Thanks again for the info
Gerhard