mpage interface

Fred fbe314 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 02:12:34 PDT 2007

hello,

I've never been satisfied with lpoption: I want to specify nb of char per width and height page, not per inch ... So, I've decided to use a mpage filter.

For example, let's have this /tmp/filter file:
/usr/bin/mpage -bA4 -o -1 -l -L66 -W140
which converts to a page of 66 lines and 140 columns.

The lpadmin's man tells me to create my "land1" printer this way:
lpadmin -p land1 -v ipp://myprinter.here.net:631/ipp -E -i /tmp/filter

which then creates a /etc/cups/interfaces/land1 file which is a copy of /tmp/filter.

But now, if I do
echo "hello" | lp -d land1

... I get in /var/log/cups/error_log
"PID 13098 (/etc/cups/interfaces/land1) stopped with status 22!"

and the printer is stalled. I have to cancel the job.

what's wrong ?

thanx,