CUPS problem

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jul 17 14:38:13 PDT 2007

Aaron wrote:
> I am working on a server that is having an odd cups problem.  The server is
> running RedHat Linux

Look, this is a bit thin info. You surely are able to find out which version
of RedHat, and which version of CUPS, no?

> and the problem is that I removed all of the printers from
> the Linux printer setup and somehow the following is still appearing in the
> printcap:

Where is this printcap located? In /etc/printcap? And is it re-generated if
you delete it?

> AdobePDF7:
> HP_Color_Inkjet_CP1700:
> HP_DJ_650C_36_(socket:__192.168.1.250:9100):
> savin_on_192.168.1.46:
> Stylus_COLOR_740:
>
> I checked SAMBA to see if any printer configurations in there were causing this
> but I didn't find anything unusual.  I even went as far as stopping the smb
> daemon and restarting cups but these printcap entries still appear.
>
> Here is an example of what I get while running lpstat -t
>
> sh-2.05a# lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: AdobePDF7
> Printer 'AdobePDF7 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection refused
> Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
> Printer 'HP_Color_Inkjet_CP1700 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
>  refused
> Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
> Printer 'HP_DJ_650C_36_(socket at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
> refused
> Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
> Printer 'savin_on_192.168.1.46 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
> refused
>
> How can I find out where these odd printer entries are coming from and how can
> I get rid of the connection refused?  If I add the printers back in,

So you *are* able to add printers, running the "lpadmin" command? Or are you
using the CUPS web interface? Or a RedHat tool?

> all of the
> log files report connection refused.  Can anyone help?

Post the contents of these files (if they exist):

  ~/.cups/client.conf
  /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
  /etc/cups/printers.conf

Also, post the output of these commands:

  testparm -sv | grep -E "cups|print|driv|lp|spool|secur"
  grep -Ev "^#|^$" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS