Multiple copies in selfwritten backend

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 18 15:47:05 PDT 2007

Mario Goppold wrote:
>>> I have more tested and found that there are no backend calls for the
>>> 2,3,... files:
>> There's only one backend call since 1.2.0 for multi-file jobs. Search
>> these documents
>>
>>     http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php
>>     http://localhost:631/help/whatsnew.html
>>
>> for all lines containing "backend" or "Multi-File Job Improvements" and
>> for changed backend behavior since 1.2.0 was released.
>>

> Thank you for the RTFM advice :)

Heh...  ;-)

> In other words I have to pay attention to all files for this job within
> the backend?

Yes, of course. (I'm wondering how you would "dare" to write your own back-
end without diving into at least *some* documentation  :-)   ).

> There is no parameter nor environement variable to see that I have to
> handle more than one file.

I don't think so. AFAIR, backends (unlike driver filters!) receive multi-
file jobs as one single file anyway (with the chunks separated only by a
'^D' (or '<ctrl>+<D>'). So all your backend has to remembers is "do not
die" when seeing a simple '^D'...

> It is really necessary to do a dir listing to
> find this?

No.

--
Kurt Pfeifle