[cups.general] HP LaserJet 5 Si MX and multiple paper sizes

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Jul 19 02:44:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:12:42AM -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Phil Reynolds wrote:
> > I have recently acquired a second hand HP LaserJet 5Si MX.
>
> Is that thingie PostScript-enabled? What interfaces does it have?
> Parallel? Network as well?

Postscript. Parallel (not in use) and Network.

> > I am wondering how, if possible, I can have a single name for the
> > printer and cope with the automatic selection of trays (and duplex once
> > fitted).
>
> I don't know what you mean with "automatic selection of trays".

There are two paper trays - on mine, one contains A3, the other A4. If I
configure in CUPS for A3 then print an A4 document, it prints A4-sized
in the corner of an A3 page.

> You may or may not have installed a lot of PPDs already on your system.
> You can manually search for them in /usr/share/cups/model/ and subdirs.

I have about five suitable PPDs - I find the hpijs one doesn't support
A3, and the Gutenprint one does - I have not yet tried the others, but
don't see one for PostScript.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95