JOB DISAPPEARS HELP

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Thu Jul 19 11:27:45 PDT 2007

> > Katya wrote:
> > > Help me, please. I've got a terrible headache with this problem. I've
> > > got a printserver with FC6 and cups 1.2.10. Sometimes I send jobs from
> > > Linux machine (FC4, FC6) on printing but jobs disappears. I see in log:
> >

> > > D [19/Jul/2007:11:09:03 +0400] [Job 2997] envp[23]="FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE=application/vnd.cups-postscript"
> >
> > You're sending PostScript to the printer. Are you sure the printer can
> > consume PostScript? And if so, are you sure that it also is set to ac-
> > cept PostScript (some printers can be set to PCL-only, if they do sup-
> > port both languages).
> >
> > > D [19/Jul/2007:11:09:03 +0400] [Job 2997] %%Creator: OpenOffice.org 2.0
> >
> > OOo is known to sometimes generate problematic PostScript. Have a look at
> >
> >    http://www.cups.org/links.php?V158
> >
> > and see if that helps you.
> >
> > > Nothing printing ...
> > >
> > > This problem appears when I print on HP LJ 8000 N from Linux (with Windows
> > > machines i have not such problem), but everything is OK with HP LJ 4Si MX.

[...]

> I send job from Mozilla but I see the same results:

Let me re-phrase my comment.

 (a) "You're sending PostScript to the printer" meant to say: "You are
      using a driver that causes any printjob created by any application
      to be converted to PostScript (by CUPS) before it is sent off to
      the print device".
 (b) That's *basically* the same whether you use OOo or Mozilla to print
     from.
 (c) Now that Mozilla shows the same problem (but Mozilla's PS output
     sometimes had its own problems in the past), my other question be-
     comes more relevant: "Are you sure that your print device is set
     to accept PostScript ??" If it doesn't support PostScript, you
     need to use a CUPS configuration/driver that sends PCL to the device.

You can test if your printer supports PostScript. Just sent the CUPS test file directly, "raw" to the printer:

  lp -d hp5 -o raw /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps

We need to know if your printer supports PostScript or not. If not it surely supports PCL. In that case, installing another queue should take you to a working setup. Do this (as root):

  lpadmin -p hp5_pcl -v socket://172.22.1.5 -E -m laserjet.ppd
  lpadmin -p hp5_pcl -v socket://172.22.1.5 -E -m laserjet.ppd.gz

(One of the commands should work -- I'm not sure whether the laserjet.ppd is compressed or not on your system)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS