How to stop CUPS status broadcasts on particular interface?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jul 23 04:33:39 PDT 2007

jc wrote:

> I just noticed that my print server is broadcasting CUPS status
> messages on all ethernet interfaces.  Is there a way to configure
> CUPS to only broadcast on specific interfaces or to not broadcast
> on certain interfaces?

Please have a look at this document:

   http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=

Specifically, look at the explanations provided for "BrowseAddress",
"Browsing" and "Listen". You'll learn there, that by specifying

   Browsing Off

you can stop *all* broadcasts. Or by having the combination of

   Browsing On
   BrowseAddress 10.11.12.255/24
   Listen 10.11.12.13:631

or

   Browsing On
   BrowseAddress IF(eth2)
   Listen *:631

you can have the cupsd listen to a specific address used by any of its
network interfaces (1st example), or to whatever address the interface
named "eth2" currently uses (2nd example) -- as well as responding only
to clients addressing a specific IP address (1st example), or listening
on all interfaces.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS