[cups.general] Excessive Get-Printer-Attributes in CUPS

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Tue Jul 24 09:55:29 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 07:34 -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Jeff Hardy wrote:
>
> > load printers = yes
> > printing = cups
> > printcap name = cups
> > cups options = raw
> > show add printer wizard = yes
> > addprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbaddprinter.pl
> > deleteprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbdelprinter.pl
>
> These may well be the complete parameters written down in smb.conf by
> you that relate to printing.
>
> But for sure these are *NOT* the complete parameters used by Samba!

Kurt and Franz,

Thanks for your replies.

Actually I was aware of all the default definitions, and should have
included the complete list in my first post:

# testparm -sv | grep -E "print|driver|lp|cups|spool"
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[drivers]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
        lpq cache time = 30
        load printers = Yes
        printcap cache time = 750
        printcap name = cups
        cups server =
        iprint server =
        disable spoolss = No
        addprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbaddprinter.pl
        deleteprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbdelprinter.pl
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        os2 driver map =
        printer admin = @printeradmins
        min print space = 0
        max reported print jobs = 0
        max print jobs = 1000
        printable = No
        printing = cups
        cups options = raw
        print command =
        lpq command = %p
        lprm command =
        lppause command =
        lpresume command =
        printer name =
        use client driver = No
        force printername = No
        printjob username = %U
[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
[print$]
        path = /var/shares/drivers
        write list = @printeradmins
[drivers]
        path = /var/shares/driverpaks
        write list = @printeradmins

I read about printcap cache time before, and have since tried manually
setting it to a variety of settings.  My first post was when it was at
its default of 750.  Seems that no matter what that is set to, same
behavior.

I should mention that this machine has some 270 queues, and is seeing
very light duty right now.

-Jeff