[cups.general] Excessive Get-Printer-Attributes in CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 10:45:31 PDT 2007

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 07:34 -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Jeff Hardy wrote:
>>
>>> load printers = yes
>>> printing = cups
>>> printcap name = cups
>>> cups options = raw
>>> show add printer wizard = yes
>>> addprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbaddprinter.pl
>>> deleteprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbdelprinter.pl
>> These may well be the complete parameters written down in smb.conf by
>> you that relate to printing.
>>
>> But for sure these are *NOT* the complete parameters used by Samba!
>>

> Kurt and Franz,
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Actually I was aware of all the default definitions, and should have
> included the complete list in my first post:
>
> # testparm -sv | grep -E "print|driver|lp|cups|spool"
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[print$]"
> Processing section "[drivers]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
>         lpq cache time = 30
>         load printers = Yes
>         printcap cache time = 750
>         printcap name = cups
>         cups server =
>         iprint server =
>         disable spoolss = No
>         addprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbaddprinter.pl
>         deleteprinter command = /usr/local/bin/smbdelprinter.pl
>         show add printer wizard = Yes
>         os2 driver map =
>         printer admin = @printeradmins
>         min print space = 0
>         max reported print jobs = 0
>         max print jobs = 1000
>         printable = No
>         printing = cups
>         cups options = raw
>         print command =
>         lpq command = %p
>         lprm command =
>         lppause command =
>         lpresume command =
>         printer name =
>         use client driver = No
>         force printername = No
>         printjob username = %U
> [printers]
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         printable = Yes
> [print$]
>         path = /var/shares/drivers
>         write list = @printeradmins
> [drivers]
>         path = /var/shares/driverpaks
>         write list = @printeradmins
>

> I read about printcap cache time before, and have since tried manually
> setting it to a variety of settings.  My first post was when it was at
> its default of 750.  Seems that no matter what that is set to, same
> behavior.
>
> I should mention that this machine has some 270 queues, and is seeing
> very light duty right now.
>
> -Jeff

What happens if you set to an empty value "cups options = ''" ? (but
make at the same time sure that raw printing is allowed on the cups
site by editing the last lines in /etc/cups/*{.types,.convs} in case
you need raw printing support)?

Can you get an exact count of how many "Get-Printer-Attributes" requests
you are seeing per second on avarage?

Are these requests evenly distributed, or are there bursts?

Did you consider to do a network trace to see why sometimes you get
"successful-ok", sometimes "client-error-not-found"?

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS