[cups.general] Excessive Get-Printer-Attributes in CUPS

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Tue Jul 24 11:48:21 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 10:45 -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Jeff Hardy wrote:

> >> These may well be the complete parameters written down in smb.conf by
> >> you that relate to printing.
> >>
> >> But for sure these are *NOT* the complete parameters used by Samba!

> > I should mention that this machine has some 270 queues, and is seeing
> > very light duty right now.
> >
> > -Jeff
>

> What happens if you set to an empty value "cups options = ''" ? (but
> make at the same time sure that raw printing is allowed on the cups
> site by editing the last lines in /etc/cups/*{.types,.convs} in case
> you need raw printing support)?

Same thing.

> Can you get an exact count of how many "Get-Printer-Attributes" requests
> you are seeing per second on avarage?

The average is 23, and just this afternoon, 18.

> Are these requests evenly distributed, or are there bursts?

Definite bursts, up to 30 - 50 on a fairly regular basis.  Max bursts in
the hundreds, with an overall max of 284, though this is exceptional.
Most of the time it is somewhere around one or two dozen.

> Did you consider to do a network trace to see why sometimes you get
> "successful-ok", sometimes "client-error-not-found"?

These are all raw queues, and I had assumed that
'client-error-not-found' would be expected for any queue without a PPD.
Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff