[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 7400DN

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 25 04:44:54 PDT 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I'm trying to install this printer on Ubuntu Feisty, but I'm too dumb to figure out how to do it. I have a PPD file (xr7400dn.ppd) and I moved it to /etc/cups/ppd. I clicked on System > Administration > Printing > Add New Printer, and I managed to install a printer that appears in the Printers window. But when I look at its properties half the features of the 7400DN are not listed, and the options keep referring to "ink," which can't be because the 7400DN is a laser printer.
>
> I can't find any simple step by step instructions for installing this printer in CUPS. I need something for someone who doesn't understand the difference between a PPD file and a driver. Or is there a difference?

You need to move the PPD to /usr/share/cups/model .
This is the directory where CUPS looks for PPDs when
adding/modifying a printer.
Do not forget to restart cupsd or give it a kill -HUP
to firce a parameter reload.

The /etc/cups/ppd directory is where cupsd stores the
PPDs *after* configuring.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke