CUPS won't add a printer using Lynx

Martin Ward martin.ward at colt.net
Wed Jul 25 08:21:42 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have recently installed CUPS onto two Solaris 10 machines. I built it on one machine and successfully installed a printer using the web interface via Firefox, although I can't test it (I don't yet have access to that network).

I then created the install package and installed it on the other machine and started it up OK, but when I try and add a printer (one that IS accessible from this server) using Lynx (I can't get HTTP access to this network) I get as far as configuring the PPD file, but when I click "Add Printer" I get an error "Unknown operation".

I have tried turning on debug in the log files but it's not very helpful, I just get lots of "file position" entries.

Is there any other way I can add a printer so that I can get some more/better/clearer error messages?

Thanks

|\/|artin