[cups.general] Job spooling to print server

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jul 27 01:42:58 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jul 26 09:53 Christian Niessner wrote (shortened):
> On the client servers there get lots of 1-page jobs spooled by a local
> software. With the local printers everything works fine, but with the
> imported Printers from the dedicated server there is a problem.
> the jobs get mixed up - they get printed in a different order than
> they get spooled.

Only to make sure that there is no trivial misunderstanding:

Which exact loaction is it when you talk about "they get spooled"?

If several client servers send their jobs simultaneously to the
dedicated server, they get spooled at the dedicated server
in a mixed up ordering from each client's point of view
but it is the right ordering (as they are received) on the
dedicated server.

When a client wants to make sure that several files are printed
as one contiguous print job, the client must send them as one
print job: "lp -h server -d queue file1 file2 ... fileN".

By the way:
If I remember correctly there was such a problem with SAP which sends
interrelated stuff (e.g. various documents which belong to one order)
as several individual print jobs (I don't know if SAP can be configured
to send it as one single print job).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex