Does CUPS support JPL

Bill Hammack hammack at netbox.com
Tue Jul 31 09:57:48 PDT 2007

Perhaps this isn't quite the right question ... but .... here's the problem. I have a networked printer (Panasonic DP-C322) that works fine with Windows. When I download a ppd to print from CUPS/linux it prints the first line of the postscript file and then about a 100 blank pages. When I examine the windows and linux postscript files I note that the windows seems to be a "JPL" file (PCL 6 of some sort I assume?) and the Linux is a postscript file (3.0.) I learned that our DP-C322 DOESN'T have a postscript module, but uses PCL 6. So, is there a ppd or a way to create a file with the JPL headers like below? (Note: I've tried a generic PCL6 ppd, but it still generates a 3.0 postscript file? Am I missing something here?)

Header of the Window file that prints well:

%-12345X at PJL COMMENT Panasonic DP-C322 PCL 6
@PJL COMMENT TREATASCHARACTER
@PJL COMMENT version 2K 5.01.054.001
@PJL JOB TIME="2007/07/30 11:26:46"
@PJL JOB NAME="4861.pdf"
@PJL JOB OWNER="Administrator"
@PJL JOB HOST="UNIVERSI-6X13UL"
@PJL JOB PCIP="172.016.239.129"
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL SET RESOLUTIONXY=600-600
@PJL SET BLANKPAPER=OFF
@PJL SET QTY=1
@PJL SET SORTING=STACK
@PJL SET ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT
@PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
@PJL SET RENDERMODE=COLOR
@PJL SET OUTBIN=AUTO
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCLXL
) HP-PCL XL;2;1;Comment (C) Panasonic Communications Co., Ltd. 2005

Header of the Linux PS file that doesn't print:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%BoundingBox: (atend)
%%Creator: OpenOffice.org 2.0
%%For: bill
%%CreationDate: Mon Jul 30 12:07:03 2007
%%Title: 4891e
%%LanguageLevel: 3
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%Pages: (atend)
%%PageOrder: Ascend
%%EndComments
%%BeginProlog
%%BeginResource: procset PSPrint-Prolog 1.0 0
/ISO1252Encoding