[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2445: Web Interface should indicate serious errors

Florian Liekewg liekweg at gmx.de
Mon Jul 16 09:34:15 PDT 2007

[STR New]

The web intercace (in particular the printers view
"http://localhost:631/printers/") does not provide enough information
about the device (Device URI: ...).  It should indicate permission
problems (for local devices like USB or parallel ports) or 'not reachable'
messages for network printers.

Background:  I upgraded cups (FreeBSD ports).  The current version is run
as user 'cups' and group 'cups', while the previous version ran as user
'root' and group 'wheel'.  The USB device was, by default, owned
root:wheel.  After the upgrade, the printer didn't print.  Nothing was
indicated in the web interface - only the error log provided the
information that the driver wasn't allowed to access the USB device.  A
short message after the 'Device URI' entry would have helped me find and
fix this problem much easier and sooner.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2445
Version:  -feature