[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2445: Web Interface should indicate serious errors

Florian Liekweg liekweg at gmx.de
Tue Jul 17 07:56:07 PDT 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> Since the web interface and scheduler have no way to know about permissions
> on devices or network protocols, it would be impossible to show more than
> what we have now, which will show errors as soon as you try to print.
Well, it didn't show any errors to begin with.  In the previous version,
1.2.0, as far as I can tell, I had two printers set up to print to the
same device (I didn't know about Instances at the time).  While one printer
was printing, the other one (with a job in the queue) announced something
like "device busy, will try again in 30sec" or the like.  If 1.2.0 knows
about "device busy", why can't 1.2.10_1 know about "permission denied"?

> Also, the "run as non-root" functionality offered by your OS vendor is not
> a standard CUPS feature...
Well, it should be :-)  It would follow the principle of least privilege and
would limit the consequences of possible malfunctions and exploits to files
and devices owned by the 'cups' user.

cheers,
Florian