[cups.general] PCL input Filter with GhostPCL

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jun 6 01:29:29 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jun 5 15:27 Maximillian Dornseif wrote (shortened):
> Now I added simple PCL detection into /usr/local/etc/cups/mime.types
> application/vnd.hp-PCL          string(0,<1B>E<1B>)
> D [...] print_job: auto-typing file...
> D [...] print_job: request file type is application/vnd.hp-pcl.
> D [...] Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported: ...

Is there perhaps somewhere a typo because there is
"hp-PCL" versus "hp-pcl"?

Perhaps the ordering of the MIME types causes your problem?
All mime types in all /etc/cups/*.types files are combined
an tested in alphabetical order and the resulting MIME type
is the first match - i.e. your new MIME type name must apperar
in alphabetical order before any other MIME type which may
also match.

And you get a "client-error-document-format-not-supported" error
if CUPS cannot find a filter or a sequence of filters which it can
apply to convert the original data format into printer specific data.
In particular on client systems in the network you may have to specify
new MIME types on each client system if you use the usual CUPS Browsing
and not what I call a "client-only" setup via /etc/cups/client.conf.

Finally: You must re-start the cupsd so that it re-reads changed
mime.types and mime.convs files.

For some examples see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards