[cups.general] problem with cups-lpd not passing on requests correctly

Day, Geoffrey Geoffrey.Day at dpac.tas.gov.au
Wed Jun 6 18:14:46 PDT 2007

Scenario

We currently have a solaris 8 server (falcon) in one network which
functions as a central point for printer requests. This server forwards
port 515 traffic to another solaris 8 server (snowy) on our internal
network, where a large number of print queues have been configured with
jetadmin.

We are attempting to replace "falcon" with a Fedora Core 6 server
(falcon2)

We have configured a print queue on the Fedora server (falcon2) pointing
at the internal solaris server (snowy) as follows

lpadmin -p cs3 -E -v lpd://snowy/cs3

which generates the following entry in /etc/cups/printers.conf

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.7
# Written by cupsd on 2007-03-20 07:13
<Printer cs3>
Info cs3
DeviceURI lpd://snowy/cs3
State Idle
StateTime 1174335032
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

This print queue functions correctly when used on the Fedora server
(falcon2)
ie  cat /etc/hosts |  lp -d cs3
is forwarded to the internal solaris print server and prints correctly

cups-lpd has been configured to run under xinetd with the following
entry

service printer
           {
            socket_type = stream
            protocol = tcp
            wait = no
            user = lp
            group = sys
            passenv =
            server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
            server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream
           }

and the following entry in /etc/cups/mime.convs

application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0
-

on a 3rd solaris server a print queue has been configured as follows

lpadmin -ptest -sfalcon2!cs3

On this 3rd server
cat /etc/hosts | lp -d test
results in a postscript banner from cups being printed, but nothing else

We have check all network settings etc and all server can communicate
with each other no problems.
Please do not suggest we replace the Solaris servers as we are
constrained by applications.

Any suggestions on how to get the cups-lpd to pass the print job on
properly?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Information in this transmission is intended only for
the person(s)to whom it is addressed and may contain
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you
should delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender.
No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the
information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.