[cups.general] problem with cups-lpd not passing on requestscorrectly

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jun 7 03:44:43 PDT 2007

Day, Geoffrey wrote:
> Scenario
>
> We currently have a solaris 8 server (falcon) in one network which
> functions as a central point for printer requests. This server forwards
> port 515 traffic to another solaris 8 server (snowy) on our internal
> network, where a large number of print queues have been configured with
> jetadmin.
>
> We are attempting to replace "falcon" with a Fedora Core 6 server
> (falcon2)
>
> We have configured a print queue on the Fedora server (falcon2) pointing
> at the internal solaris server (snowy) as follows
>
> lpadmin -p cs3 -E -v lpd://snowy/cs3
>
> which generates the following entry in /etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.7
> # Written by cupsd on 2007-03-20 07:13
> <Printer cs3>
> Info cs3
> DeviceURI lpd://snowy/cs3
> State Idle
> StateTime 1174335032
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
>
> This print queue functions correctly when used on the Fedora server
> (falcon2)
> ie  cat /etc/hosts |  lp -d cs3
> is forwarded to the internal solaris print server and prints correctly
>
> cups-lpd has been configured to run under xinetd with the following
> entry
>
> service printer
>            {
>             socket_type = stream
>             protocol = tcp
>             wait = no
>             user = lp
>             group = sys
>             passenv =
>             server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
>             server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream
>            }
>
> and the following entry in /etc/cups/mime.convs
>
> application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0
> -
>

> on a 3rd solaris server a print queue has been configured as follows
>
> lpadmin -ptest -sfalcon2!cs3
>
> On this 3rd server
> cat /etc/hosts | lp -d test
> results in a postscript banner from cups being printed, but nothing else
>
> We have check all network settings etc and all server can communicate
> with each other no problems.
> Please do not suggest we replace the Solaris servers as we are
> constrained by applications.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get the cups-lpd to pass the print job on
> properly?

The print file you are sending from the Solaris system is probably
getting flagged as raw, and since raw printing is broken with
banners in 1.2.x (fixed for 1.3), you won't see the actual print
file.

Either disable banners when printing via LPD or add a
/etc/cups/local.types file to your FC6 system defining the file
types you are using.