getenv LPDEST or PRINTER for LPR

Michael Letchworth mikel at digitaltoken.com
Mon Jun 11 12:22:56 PDT 2007

Can someone tell me why LPR is not reading the LPDEST or PRINTER environment variable? I looked at the lpr.c code but since I'm not a programmer I really couldn't follow it that well. The best I could tell is that cupsGestDest is assigning a printer name which is making it skip the getenv("LPDEST") or getenv("PRINTER"). Any help would be great.

Actually if there is another solution that would help too. I'm trying to set a default printer per user and not the system printer. So when the user issues a lpr command it would either get the LPDEST or some other setting a print to the correct printer.

Thanks