Centralized Server Problem

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Thu Jun 14 08:37:52 PDT 2007

> Sorry, no real change. Lets say my clients name is foo. I added the printer (lets say foopr) on the server as follows
>
> lpadmin -p foopr -E -v lpd://foo/lp -P /usr/share/ppd/foopr.ppd
>
> When i try to print it says
>
> "Network host 'foo' is busy, down, or unreachable; will retry in 30
> seconds..."

That's to be expected; your "foo" does not run a print service listening on port 515 unless you configure it to do so.

My other post outlined what you need to do: enable "cups-lpd" on foo (see also "man cups-lpd").

But my other post also adviced against the usage of the "lpd://" device URI scheme (which requires to run cups-lpd). Better use "ipp://" or "http://".