unable to manage jobs

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Thu Jun 14 12:03:32 PDT 2007

> > Try this (if it is CUPS 1.1.x):
> >
> > <Location /jobs>
> >   AuthType None
> >   Order Deny,Allow
> >   Deny From All
> >   Allow From localhost
> > </Location>
>
> That resulted in a permission denied on the jobs page (in the web
> interface).

I was assuming you wanted to indeed access from localhost, not from a remote one.

> So I changed to Allow From All and I'm getting the same
> results I was getting earlier.

Strange.... Did I forget something? Hmm, yes, maybe. Add a line

  AuthClass Anonymous

so the complete section reads:

<Location /jobs>
   AuthType None
   AuthClass Anonymous
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From All
   Allow From localhost
</Location>

> I have read about the /etc/cups/passwd.md5 file.  We did not have one
> on our debian print server.  We have tried creating one, but I'm not
> sure what to put in it.

Run the command

  lppasswd -a amy

to add user "amy" to the file. It will be created if it does not exist.

> If we are running as user lp, should we add
> user lp to this passwd.md5 file (using lppasswd)?

No need.

This file is only relevant if you use "AuthType Digest". That AuthType uses its own, separated database. ("AuthType Basic" uses the standard system /etc/{passwd,shadow} files.)

You don't need if if you want to run unauthenticated.

One more point (and to my shame, I'm not sure about it at the moment, and too tired to think hard about it):
You may need to change to "RunAsUser No" in cupsd.conf; cupsd will then run as root, and this may be necessary if you want to give all users the right to manage each other's job anonymously.