unable to manage jobs

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Jun 19 20:35:54 PDT 2007

> > One more point (and to my shame, I'm not sure about it at the moment, and too tired to think hard about it):
> > You may need to change to "RunAsUser No" in cupsd.conf; cupsd will then run as root, and this may be necessary if you want to give all users the right to manage each other's job anonymously.
>
> As I mentioned in a previous post, I can get it to work with Digest.  However, what we'd really prefer is to just use Basic.  We have a lot of customer support people who need to manage jobs and we currently authenticate via ldap (using pam).  I don't want to manage this separate passwd.md5 file.
>
> However, I cannot seem to get SuSE to honor my AuthType Basic specification.  Here's my applicable section:
>
> <Location /jobs>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthClass Group
> Require group aspx
> Order Deny,Allow
> Allow From All
> </Location>
>
> I've also set RunAsUser to No
>
> The same config (above) works perfectly for /printers/name.
>
> After restarting, and attempting to hold or cancel another user's job, the cups error.log still shows:
>
> E [19/Jun/2007:15:45:40 -0500] Unable to open /etc/cups/passwd.md5 - No such file or directory
> E [19/Jun/2007:15:45:40 -0500] hold_job: "atanner" not authorized to hold job id 11 owned by "dbaggero
>

> Why is still trying to get auth info from passwd.md5?  I've found several articles about how SUSE's defaults are Digest auth and RunAsUser=yes but they all seem to indicate that you can simply change them.
>
> I'm running SLES 10 with cups-1.1.23-40.6.
>
> Has anyone else gotten this to work or have any ideas?

Is user "atanner" part of the "aspx" group?

And: it may be the case that your "management" of jobs does access the "<Location /admin>". You may need to change that too...

What do you see if you hoover the mouse in the web interface over the "hold" button for a job -- does that link go to "/admin" or to "/jobs" in the browser's status bar indicator?